Everyone has a certain lifestyle. The same way as everybody has a certain diet they follow, we all have our habits. At the same time, we often ask ourselves the question of how to live a balanced lifestyle. There is no one right answer. Our lifestyle is the way we choose to live – the nutrition, the sleeping patters, the level of physical activity, the human interactions, the mental well-being. All these elements and habits influence our quality of living. To live a balanced lifestyle means to take into consideration many factors and finding the right proportions. To adopt this new healthy way of living, we present you with 6 components of a balanced lifestyle.
What Is a Balanced Lifestyle
Before explaining what it means to live a balanced lifestyle, it is vital to define “lifestyle.” The term refers to any voluntary decision and action which affects your health. It is related to your everyday routines: behaviours, interests, opinions that express your own identity. The lifestyle you have can be expressed in the way you live or the way you work. Thus, this concept is very often associated with actions that have a direct influence on your health. Having that in mind, a balanced lifestyle is defined as “a satisfying pattern of daily activity that is healthful, meaningful and sustainable to an individual within the context of his or her current life circumstance.”
Behaviours of a Balanced Lifestyle
To have a balanced lifestyle means to behave in a way that is beneficial to your health. According to specialists, such behaviours include:
- a regular sleeping pattern – from 7 to 9 hours;
- having breakfast regularly;
- limiting snacking between your meals;
- keeping your weight within normal limits;
- avoiding smoking (actively or passively);
- limiting alcohol intake (only occasionally);
- exercising regularly.
How to Protect Your Health
Protective health behaviours include different elements. Experiencing balance or imbalance in your lifestyle is seen as a part of everyone’s existence. This balance/imbalance is viewed as an individual, subjective and dynamic process which can be a result of your lifestyle, health, occupations and relationships. Hence, not only physical elements are important while taking care of your well-being. To live a balanced lifestyle it means to find balance by taking care of the following 6 components.
6 Components of a Balanced Lifestyle
There are 6 fundamental components of a balanced lifestyle. To change your way of living and improve your well-being, you should take a look into all elements individually. That is the only way to set and achieve your goals – to live a balanced lifestyle. The following 6 components are:
Each of the components is interlacing with one another. A truly balanced lifestyle can exist only once there is a balance among all six elements. Hence, omitting or neglecting at least one of them will always influence others. At the same time, an improvement in any of them will affect positively the rest. Having that in mind, let’s take a look at the components and try to answer some burning questions.
As it was already pointed out, a balanced lifestyle requires protective health behaviours such as:
- physical exercise;
- balanced nutrition;
- a balance between recreation and relaxation;
- avoiding any forms of addiction;
- regular medical checks.
It may seem like a truism but many people forget how important these behaviours are. Bear in mind that it takes time to build a solid foundation upon which you can build a balanced lifestyle. Many types of research show that it takes at least two weeks to form a new habit and at least eight weeks to transform it into a lifestyle. How about a new diet or a new type of physical activity? The advantages of such behaviours are countless but they always have positive consequences.
Consider these questions:
- How often do you exercise?
- How much sleep do you get at night?
- Is your food nutritious?
- Is your weight healthy?
- Does your body feel healthy?
Even though body and mind have been perceived as one for centuries, only recently people have started paying more attention to their mental well-being. The close relationship between physical and mental aspects is undeniable and unquestionable. The question is how to achieve a balanced lifestyle in which there is no conflict between what body and mind. As a response to that, let’s take a look at some strategies:
- Identifying and breaking down goals – How many times did you feel overwhelmed with the number of responsibilities? How many times did you give up because you wouldn’t succeed? Consider your goals, your expectations and your feeling. The answer is to realise that taking small steps can help you to start and continue working towards your balance. How do you become a well-balanced person? Definitely not overnight but every change is an on-going process. Compare it with our solutions on how to be more creative and successful.
- Being kind to self – Do you give yourself enough time to succeed? Are you kind to yourself? Remember that changed towards your “better self” take time, sometimes it is a never-ending process. Should you be overwhelmed by that? Definitely not. The solution is to value yourself and be kind to yourself instead of setting large goals and making no progress at times.
Nobody wants to be unhappy. How often do you find yourself thinking negatively? Is it because you are stressed? Is it because you are tired of your surrounding? Maybe you feel anxious for unknown reasons? Regardless of its source, negativity always influences how you function. At the same time, you are bound to face negative emotions. The question is how you are dealing with them. Whatever the reason is behind your emotional reaction, you should always remember that a balanced lifestyle always involves those “not-so-positive” moments. We all learn how to combat them. Personally, I find yoga the best way to balance my mind and body.